Update, 5:30 p.m. Monday, May 5
One woman, who was on the porch when emergency personnel arrived, was taken to Melrose-Wakefield Hospital for burns and smoke inhalation, according to Malden Deputy Fire Chief Leonard Dunn III.
The person who was believed to be trapped was in a second-floor bathroom and was unaware of the fire until firefighters arrived, as the home's smoke detectors had been taken down some time ago. This person was not injured.
The Malden Fire Department reminded residents to check and make sure that they have operating smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, to test them every month and to change the batteries in them twice a year.
Malden firefighters responded to a fire on the top floor of a Clinton Street home at about 10 p.m. Friday, according to reports.
One person was trapped inside the home but was out as of 10:10 p.m., according to Ed Baur, @pain24seven on Twitter. An ambulance was called for a civilian injury.
Firefighters knocked down the blaze shortly after 10:20 p.m.