MALDEN PATCH: Facebook | Twitter | Email Updates
Here is the Malden Storm Center where we will be posting updates related to the snowstorm:
8 p.m.: No school Wednesday for Malden Catholic High School.
5:15 p.m.: Mystic Valley Regional Charter School has postponed the Tuesday night PTO session until 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 27, according to the school's Facebook page.
5 p.m.: There will be no school at Cheverus School on Wednesday, according to the school's Facebook page.
4:30 p.m.: The Malden Chamber of Commerce's Business After Hours event Tuesday night at Malden Catholic High School has been postponed until 5:30-7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 28, according to the chamber's Facebook page.
3:30 p.m.: In case you didn't hear it, check out this recording from the city announcing the snow emergency and parking ban, courtesy of reader John Moura.
1:25 p.m.: No school Wednesday for Malden Public Schools students, according to the City of Malden Facebook page.
1:40 p.m.: Here are some snowstorm-related updates, according to the City of Malden Facebook page:
Snow Emergency and Parking Ban
As of this evening, Tuesday, Jan. 21 at 6 p.m., we will be declaring a snow emergency. After the snow emergency goes into effect at 6:00PM, winter parking rules will be strictly enforced until the emergency is lifted. To avoid getting a ticket or being towed on streets with restrictions, you must seek off-street parking until the snow emergency has been lifted.
The city will open up several locations for residents to park free of charge until the snow emergency has been lifted, including:
• Early Learning Center, 257 Mountain Ave.
• Beebe School, 401 Pleasant St.
• Forestdale School, 74 Sylvan St.
• Ferryway School, 150 Cross St.
• Linden School, 29 Wescott St.
• Salemwood School, 529 Salem St.
• CBD Garage, 170 Centre St.
Again, vehicles can park at these locations free of charge, but must be removed when the snow emergency is lifted.
If the weather forecast holds, we hope to lift the parking ban by tomorrow night at 6PM, but check back frequently to confirm. We will also be issuing a CodeRED call with this information a well.
DPW Storm Operation Plan
DPW Director Bob Knox plans to deploy a “pre-treat” sanding operation in the early evening and then go into a full-scale plowing operation by late evening. If the weather holds to its forecast, we expect to be in a widening operation tomorrow and expect a full sidewalk clearing operation to kick in tomorrow evening through Thursday.
After many requests from our residents and input from our friends at Bike to the Sea, Mayor Christenson has decided to include the clearing of the Bike Path as part of our snow removal operation during this storm.
Canceled tomorrow, Wednesday, Jan. 22
-Trash/Recycling will still be picked up, but remember that with the holiday on Monday, we are in a one-day delay this week, so tomorrow (Wednesday, Jan. 22), Tuesday’s trash route will be collected.
-City Hall will close Tuesday at 6 p.m. and will be closed all day Wednesday.
-Teen Center will close Tuesday at 6 p.m. and will be closed all day Wednesday.
-Library will close Tuesday at 6 p.m. and will be closed all day Wednesday.
-Senior Center will close Tuesday at 6 p.m. and will be closed all day Wednesday.
City Asking Residents To...
-Assist in the shoveling out of fire hydrants, when possible.
-Refrain from throwing any snow on to City streets, sidewalks or public spaces.
-Think about your snow removal plan now as we will be enforcing our ordinance at the end of the storm."
How Much Snow is Malden Getting?
Trash and Recycling Pickup:
- Delayed one day due to Martin Luther King Day on Monday. For example, Wednesday trash pickup is now on Thursday.
- The Senior Center, Teen Center, Library and City Hall will be closing at 6 p.m. Tuesday and will be closed all day Wednesday, Jan. 22.
- Police/Fire Emergencies: 911
- Non-Emergency Police : 781-397-7171
- Non-Emergency Fire : 781-397-7383
- National Grid power outages : (800) 465-1212
- National Grid gas emergencies: (800) 233-5325
- Comcast : (800) 266-2278
- Verizon : (800) 837-4966 (VERIZON)
- Taxi Time: (781) 662-0300
- Malden Taxi: (781) 322-5050 and (781) 324-5050
- Malden Cab Company: (781) 322-5050
- Oak Grove Cab: (781) 665-5050
- Stoneham Taxi: (781) 279-2828
- Tan Taxi: (781) 395-6666
- Andy's Service Center: (781) 324-7505
- Culleton Brothers: (781) 322-4665
- Stephen's Autobody (Melrose): 781-665-7828
- Kearney's Towing (Stoneham): (781) 438-8484
- Stoneham Towing Inc.: (781) 438-3500
- Phil Howe's Towing (Wakefield): (781) 245-2468
- Advanced Auto Transport (Wakefield): (781) 246-5831
How Much Snow is Malden Getting?
No School Wednesday for Malden Public Schools
Get email updates about the storm and more.