YOUR TURN: Malden Patch's Constitution
In the interest of fostering constructive dialogue on the site, we took your ideas and drafted a draft Comments Constitution for Malden Patch. What do you think?
Readers - would you ratify the constitution below? Share your thoughts and concerns with other reader in the comments, and remember: this is just a first draft.
We, the People of Malden Patch, in order to form a more perfect comment section, establish justice, ensure online tranquility and provide for the common defense, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the comments section of Malden Patch:
1. We are all Maldonians: Or, at the very least, human beings old enough to understand the value of being polite to one another. So please, keep this first amendment in mind at all times when commenting on our site, no matter how tempting the insult. We're not here to play “gotcha," we're here to have constructive conversations with our neighbors about making Malden a better place to live. Let's respect that.
2. Fredom of Speech: You spoke, and we listened – comments removable from the site will remain limited to the following, though bear in mind an editor may make an executive decision at their discretion per our terms of service:
- Comments promoting bigotry
- Posts that are sexual in nature or contain overt innuendos
- Those with language unsuitable for network television
- Any kind of threatening or harassing remarks.
While we won't delete comments that are merely insulting in nature, repeated acts of harassment will be moderated, and threads that devolve into prolonged flame wars may be stopped by the moderator. Repeat offenders could face a ban from the site.
If you feel you are the victim of harassment, email editor Chris Caesar at Chris.Caesar@patch.com
3. Members must use a real email address: While it is up to the reader whether to use their real name on the site, everyone must register with a real email address. This information is only accessible to editorial staff and is not made public in any way. Accounts found to be registered under fake emails will be deleted and banned. This has always been a requirement in our terms of service.
4. Appeals: Those who wish to appeal a moderator's decision may contact editor Chris Caesar directly at Chris.Caesar@patch.com. Any attempts to appeal the decision within the comments section itself will be deleted. This is to prevent a thread from straying from the topic at hand.
5. Have fun: The last thing we want to do is make readers feel like we're coming down on them. On the contrary: we feel if everyone takes the initiative to keep our comments respectful, thoughtful and insightful, Malden Patch will be a better experience for everyone.