It's that time of year again.
As 2012 draws to a close, Malden Patch will spend the last week before the holidays reviewing some of the year's top stories - five a day through Friday.
While we employed no rigid statistical model in determining which stories made the cut, factors included an article's page views, its level of reader comments and general newsworthiness.
25. A New Year and New Mayor for Malden: Mayor Gary Christenson was sworn into office during the city's 130th inaugural, becoming the city's first new mayor in 16 years.
24. PHOTOS: Malden Hospital, Closed Over a Decade: A renegade photographer's urban exploration of the abandoned Malden Hospital was widely shared by readers, making it one of the site's most read articles of the year. Some readers expressed surprise at the condition of the interior of hospital, including graffitti, though officials with Hallmark Health said a number of precautions and improvements had taken place since the pictures were originally captured in 2009.
23. Officials Close Pearl St. Drug Rehab Clinic: City officials issued a cease and desist order to a drug rehabilitation clinic at 405 Pearl St. last March, saying the facility lacked an occupancy permit and was not operating in compliance with the building's pre-existing medical use permit.
22. Maine's 4.0 Quake Felt in Boston Area: Small tremors were felt in the Greater Boston area after a 4.0 magnitude Earthquake near Lake Arrowhead, Maine last October. No injuries were reported in the Commonwealth.
21. Teacher Suspended for Porn Background Won't Return: Exposed as a former pornographic actor during a 2011 Fox 25 news segment, Mystic Valley Regional Charter School teacher Kevin Hogan will not return from his then indefinite suspension, a spokesman said. The school did not comment further.